Sunday, February 6, 2011

WOW! What a long time between posts!

I was recently called as a Laurel advisor. Big change from the Sunbeams! I loved them and I'm happy that I got to finish out the year with the little tykes. They are so sweet and I LOVE having them squeal "Hi Sister Rowley!!" It's the greatest.

Anyway as I was studying a lesson for the Laurels I went to my bookshelf to find a book by Camilla Kimball and couldn't find it but what I found was one by Carol Lynn Pearson. She was quite popular in the 70's - 80's and went through some very rough experiences but she writes wonderful prose poetry. I opened the book and guess what? It was given to my by the Young Women leaders and girls from 3rd ward (now Peak View), where we used to live here in Flagstaff. It is so sweet with goodbye notes from many girls (including Jana and Annette) and leaders from 1997. I do remember some fun times at girls camp and hiking down West Fork. It was a neat time to come across the book as I had forgotten where it came from. So I have been reading through it again. She writes very poignantly and tenderly and deeply. I think I will share one of the poems here. The title of the book is Picture Window and this is the poem by that name.

Picture Window

Kathleen
Who was out of control
Like a slope of oranges
After someone has taken
Ten at the bottom
Looked enviously at

Susan
Who carried her stress
As gracefully as she carried
The perfect pie
She had brought to the meeting
Last Wednesday night.

Kathleen
Who yelled at her children
Even when they were not
In danger of oncoming cars
And who slammed the door
After she told her husband
To have it his way then
And who once a week at least
Locked herself in the bathroom
And cried
Called

Susan
Who never perspired
And who taught classes called
"Toward a More Feminine You"
And who smiled all the time
And whose children
Always got awards
To ask if she could
Come over sometime
To get a little help.

Kathleen
Who was so disorganized
That she went on Thursday
Instead of Friday
Got a lot of help from

Susan
Who happened to be
Out front in curlers
And wrinkled slacks
And wild-woman eyes
Screaming at her youngest child
Who had just batted a ball
Through the picture window
That framed the lamp
With the beautiful butterflies.

*********************************

What do you think? Do you like her writing?
Here is another one.

Path of a Parent

It starts with
Meditation on the toes of a baby
And leads to spiritual exercise
That would break the best yogi
Sitting cross-legged before his lotus:

Serenity
And colic
And three hours sleep last night

Grace
And screams
In the grocery store when the
Oreos are ripped from white knuckles

Harmony
And three Halloween costumes
By tomorrow morning:
A clown and a witch
And a washing machine
To go with Stacey's dryer.

Honor
And another conference
With the teacher
And possibly the principal

Silence
And the roar of motorbike
And rock
And tap shoes on the kitchen tile

Acceptance
And all that is dear
Packing up and leaving home

Path to god-cosciousness
All begun by
Meditation on the toes of a baby.

*************************

Next time: Diapering at 4:00 A.M.


2 comments:

Christine said...

I remember reading some of that book when you got it, I've been meaning to read more ever since.

Ruth said...

Oh, Karen, Carol Lynn Pearson poetry is so REAL!!! I don't have any of it but I plan to get some. I think the poem Nest Building fits you very well.
So glad to see a post from you! Have fun with the Laurels!