Monday, February 7, 2011

Diapering at 4:00 A.M.
by Carol Lynn Pearson

I saw a calf born once.
It really was amazing
How soon (all tidied up by tongue)
He wobbled off
And the new mother
Went back to grazing.

But you, my little creature
At the top of the animal kingdom
You would lie in the pasture for months
And wave your fists and cry

So here we are,
You and I
Tied together in all
The bathings and the dryings
They pickings up and the puttings down
And the turnings over
The dressings and the undressings
And the powderings and the feedings
And the cleanings up of the comings out.

I know-
I know what it's all about
This disguised blessing of unavoidable touch
Spinning a thousand threads
That encircle us like little lariats.
And before you know it
We're caught.

Calves come for going.
But not-not my little ones.
The Lord thought it all up
This essential intimacy
And he called it good.

He created the heavens and the earth
And the seas, and the naked, needing
Infants crying to be held.
He thought it all up
This clever stratagem.

And yet-
I'll bet he smiled
When he thought about diapering at 4:00 A.M.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Karen, I really appreciate these poems. This means I can go back and reread them whenever I want. This poem in particular could be passed on to some of the blogs I read!

Karen Rowley said...

Be my guest to copy and send it on! Yeah, It really applies sweetly to the young moms now doesn't it?

Jana said...

I missed this one somehow when you posted it....it's my life!

Merry said...

I was reading some of your older posts, and I really like this one! I really love Carol Lynn Pearson's poems, and this one is so sweet!