Thursday, February 12, 2009

At the Birch Aquarium

We really loved the aquaruim in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. It is so amazing to see all the beautiful colors of sea life. Normally I would think of under the sea as being just dark and drab but NO! Just look at these! I thought I would remember the names of all these but I don't. So I'll label the ones I do remember.
This is Coral. When it's alive it bends and sways in the water.
I think this is a Fan Fish

This is a kind of Seahorse. I think it's a Stick fish....
The snout goes to the left and the body angles down to the lower right.


He is just pretty. Don't know his name.



This weirdo is a Moray Eel. There were three of them together and they just
stayed in the same position looking dumb. Their faces are all dopey looking. So weird!




This is a Moon jelly fish. Or something like that. We also saw the jellyfish that were in the Nemo movie but I couldn't get a good picture.




This starfish is a Sun Star. With so many legs he looks fake!
He is on the wall up at the top of the water.

This guy is another type of Sea Dragon. Not so leafy.


And here is my Famous Leafy Sea Dragon! I love him! He looks like he just floats around but he has tiny little...falanges?...that come out of his back in a row.and they move really quickly like a fan that makes him move around through the water. I saw one at the Coney Island Aquarium with Bonnie years ago and have wanted to see one ever since so this was a treat for me!
The yellowish part is the body and he has two leafy antenna things and the other leaves are his legs. His snout is pointing down to the right corner. Isn't he COOL!?


So next time you have a chance to go to an Aquarium, GO!!!!!
















2 comments:

Christine said...

Wow, those are some crazy fishies! I love that leafy dragon guy too, that is really something!

Bryce & Cherise said...

beautiful colors!!! :)