Friday, November 7, 2008

WHAT did you SAY?????

Will I ever get it??? Last night at my sign language class we had two visitors. One was deaf and the other is not but signs very well and I thought he was deaf. My problem was that I had SUCH a hard time getting what they were saying!!! AAArrggghhh!! It was SO frustrating! They each introduced themselves giving a little background and what they do now. I felt like I couldn't get any of it and I felt embarrassed just sitting there with the rest of the class watching them. I have even talked to the woman before and should have been a little familiar with what she was saying. Well I guess I actually was and did get lots of her info but missed so much still. And then I didn't even get that the man was NOT deaf! So I asked, How long have you been deaf? Who? Me? I 'm not deaf> What???? My teacher clarified for me. I just hope that someone else didn't know that either. The people are both tutors. I think I need to go meet with him and try to figure out what all that stuff was that he said. I do need to do outside class chatting with deaf people so this one's for me. Here I come. Probably another thing that I HOPE will help is if I make time to watch at least half an hour of the sign language videos each day. Maybe it will eventually click in.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Frustrating! I think if you had a chance to communicate with people like that on a regular basis, you'd pick it up really fast. You know everything, you just have to have a chance to get into the flow of the language, you know?

Bryce & Cherise said...

awe dang! that stinks mom! Go talk to him for sure!

Jen-ben said...

Good job for not quitting! That's what I would have done. :) I hope you can find someone you can practice with!